Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Charlotte here

Topic of the day: White flour

I love starch. An ode to starch. Pasta. Bread. Cake.

But really I found a wheat pasta I super like, and it is better than white, I think.
Brand: Gia Russa.

Tip of the day: Cast Iron


I help along the seasoning of my cast iron pan by keeping some olive oil in it, and placing it on top of the toaster oven. Every time we toast something (which is multiple times per day) the pan heats and the oil helps it season. I'm friggin brilliant.

Recipe of the day: Veggie Fajitas


Onion and peppers (yellow or red are sweetest): Saute some with some fajita spices (make your own or use "Simply Organic: Fajita Seasoning" and add some extra cumin.) After 5 mins add some: chicken, or fake meat. I used "Quorn" Strips (which is a yummy meat alternative that has no yucky aftertaste or texture). Add more seasoning and a bit of water to help steam everything and bind the spices to the veggie and meat product. Also you can add some zucchini or squash.

Heat some tortillas** (amateurs only do 1-2 at a time), flip a lot with tongs over your (please tell me you don't have an electric stove) gas burner. Put some random stuff from your pantry and fridge (beans, chili, grated cheese, cilantro, chopped onion, strawberries (yum!), shredded lettuce, lime juice, whatever) on the tortilla with the fajita fixins.

But really you must make some excellent guacamole:

Ripe Avocado (2?)
Onion, finely chopped 2 TBSP or more to taste
Cilantro, finely chopped 1 TBSP or more to taste
Ripe tomato, (2?) chopped
Lime juice NOT lemon, fresh - USE A LOT like 2 limes at least
Salt - salt the avo and tomato while you are prepping the other ingredients
Pepper - freshly ground, or course

Mash it, but not to an entirely smooth consistency. I dig it chunky. Leave out anything you don't like (cilantro, tomato). The proportions of ingredients are really up to each person's taste, but this should be tangy. If you are not sure what to do add more lime.

**Oh, I love the habanero/sundried tortillas from Trader Joes, they are not spicy, but have great flavor and get all nice and charcoaly over the gas burner.

9 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Trista said...

STRAWBERRIES!!!????

I don't know about that one...

And yes, we do have an electric. One of those ones that are flat glass on top. We were going to put in a gas range with the kitchen remodel, then we looked at our tiny kitchen (even after the remodel) and realized that no one who likes to cook so much that they would need a gas range will ever buy our kitchen even if it has a gas range. And those who don't object to the kitchen won't care that it has a gas range, and so we didn't. Too expensive. Next house.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

It IS am allergy!! (re the soapy cilantro thing) Quite a few people have it- including me. It has recently become such a popular spice and so many of my meals have been ruined b/c of it.
waaaah!


also am stuck with an electric range. We considered updating but so many of our home care books warn against gas stoves for GM.

Man, I am so effing hungry right now...

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger M. said...

I am firing up the (gas) stove on this one tomorrow... I'm drooling.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Lo said...

Gosh, people are talking about me and cilantro.

Until a few months ago, I just thought that I really didn't like cilantro. I really don't like to eat *anything* with cilantro in it (salsa can be a problem, for example) unless I can pick out every single trace. Cilantro tastes like soap to me, and every mouthful I eat with any cilantro in it tastes like....soap.

I was astonished to hear (from a friend) that this is something that happens to other people, because I assumed I was being a baby about not liking a food. And when Co described what cilantro tastes like to *her* (kind of like basil) I was really surprised. 'Cause to me, it just doesn't taste like basil. It tastes like Cascade.

I am truly intrigued that a spice can taste so radically different to different people. And I am also sincerely relieved that I have a good excuse to avoid cilantro (without being a baby).

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

Karen's the same, can't stand the stuff. Makes eating out at Thai & Indian restaurants a bit of a nightmare (or takeout). I think that it's definitely because of some chemical reaction in the mouth in some people, and there's nothing you can do about it. You either love it or loathe it - there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I'm intrigued by the strawberries as an ingredient - I had totally missed this until I saw Trista's comment and re-read the post. Will have to try it, as I like fruit/savoury combinations. Have any of you tried the black pepper on strawberries trick? It really does bring out their flavour (ditto balsamic).

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Trista said...

My mom's the same way with Cilantro -- she can tell if there's been cilantro in something and it makes her sick. I'm like that with bananas -- I can tell if you've put a banana in a lunchbox with a sandwich -- I can't eat the sandwich at all, too much banana. I know, it's weird but I don't even have to SEE the banana to know it was there.

I have never done the pepper or balsamic with strawberries. I MAY try it. I do really like to use cinammon and other spices labeled as "dessert" in savory foods, though.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

Lo- maybe this has to do with our short thumbs??

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

I don't think the cilantro thing is an allergy - it's the uniqueness of tastebuds. Some people love the flavor of lavender, others think it tastes like soap. Same with cilantro. I've grown to like it.

Love your post Char!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Lo said...

I think the cilantro thing (and other such issues) are indeed the uniqueness of tastebuds, but I also am pretty sure it's genetic. Cilantro doesn't make me feel sick, it just tastes very, very, very bad. (I mean, who would want to eat soap?) I think it's not a coincidence that my sister has always also maintained that cilantro tastes like, well, soap.

What I think is sincerely cool about Charlotte's post is the suggestion that one leave out things that one does not like. I know that's not a radical idea, but I can't be the only person who was raised in a family where there were a lot of Issues Around Food. And I think it's important to change that dynamic. If you don't like something...whether that's because you're genetically programmed not to like it, or you don't like the texture, or you're just not in the mood....then you shouldn't eat it. (Barring severe health issues and all that stuff.) So There.

I am going to look for the Gia Russa flour...you can bet on that....but I am also going to eat white flour sometimes because I want to. Thank you, Charlotte!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home