Friday, April 21, 2006

The Dearth of Winter

We're in the inbetween stages, the hinterland of seasons. Even my staple, greens, is not in season at the moment.

Imagine a time when we didn't have international travel and access to anything we want. You live on what's available and right now, nothing is available except salted meat and potatoes. Imagine that moment when the first vegetables of spring became harvestable, you bite into a tender leaf of spinach or a spicy radish and you know that the bounty is coming. It's only weeks away but still too far.

My mind is moving from the comfort of stews and casseroles and lingering on the crisp fresh lettuce and juicy tomato, salads made with summer corn and beans, tossed in a snappy viniagrette. Grilled vegetables. Not much longer and summer eating will be upon us.

In the meantime, greens are back in May, and spinach, and radishes and maybe even the errant artichoke. My favorite, simple, way to eat greens:
  • Prepare one or two bunches of greens by washing and cutting leafs off stems. My favorite is kale but chard works well too, or even collards.
  • Steam until tender.
  • Saute greens in a pan with a little olive oil and a pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
  • Toss with a good balsamic vinegar
Suggestion? Make a batch of cornbread, cook a pot of black eyed peas with spices (onion, bay leaf, parsley, some red pepper flakes) and serve over rice. Put the greens on the side. You have a healthy, southern style meal.

6 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

I've always wanted to like greens, but they always seem to taste too bitter for me.

so dumb question- is spinach considered a green? I mean I know it is green, but is it A green?

Is there a way to make kale & NOT have them be bitter?

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

Yummy. I also wonder about the bitter greens. But I find there is less bitter flavor when I use a healthy dose of fresh squeezed lemon (with salt and pepper, maybe a dash of soy).

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Lo said...

I have never liked greens, either, Cali, but I do like the way Co makes escarole. I imagine she'll blog about her escarole soup. I will facilitate that, because you all deserve it. :-)
(Note: I had never eaten escarole before I met Co. I do like mustard greens, though I don't know if that counts.)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

I'm going to have to be dumb here - what is escarole? Is it one of those things where the American and British English terms are wildly different (like eggplant/aubergine)?
My favourite seasonal green right now is purple sprouting broccoli, which I love just lightly boiled or steamed, then drizzled with a bit of good olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a few gratings of fresh Parmesan. Yum! Good tossed through pasta as well with some chilli and garlic.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

Hey Tamsin...email me at sacha AT drizzle dot com and we can talk about you joining the team.

Escarole is related to endive and a bitter green. I haven't used it much. Check out the entry at wikipedia here

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

I think greens will always be bitter. With the collards I made on Friday I found that a good dash of salt helped. I've just gotten used to that bitter flavor. Kale is the least bitter to my palate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home