Monday, April 17, 2006

Intro: Sacha

I've braised, deglazed, roasted, sauteed, steamed, poached and broiled my way through life. I've cooked huge hunks of meat, carefully placed goat cheese on figs and frantically put the finishing touches on that final Thanksgiving dinner dish. I've poured through worn and stained cookbooks, coveted cast iron pots, spent years searching for that perfect icing spatula.

Today I can say that a core part of my being is my ability to feed people, and feed them well.

What are my values as a cook? Seasonal. Fresh. Local. Organic.

There's not a happier place for me than the produce section at our local natural foods market or an afternoon spent walking through one of our neighborhood farmers' markets. I am grateful every day that I live in an area that allows me access to fresh, local foods grown without pesticides.

What is my secret passion? I long to bake, to be the alchemist who mixes egg and flour and watches her creation rise to new heights. I love the smell of yeast, the tiny bubbles in cake batter, the whip of the meringue and the way it holds a peak. I glory in having a pound of butter in my 'fridge and a day off to play with it.

Inspirations? My mother. She's a fabulous cook. Mark Bittman, who taught me about fresh and simple. Deborah Madison, who inspired me to start cooking vegetarian and decreased my fear of recipes that require a lot of chopping.

What do I bring to Culinarian? The politics of food. Love shown in a delicious dinner, a tasty muffin. A respect for all things whole grain.

6 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Calliope said...

congrats on the new blog, gals!

Can not wait to learn from ya'll.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Trista said...

oooh, I am so excited to see what y'all whip up!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

Yay Sacha! I can't wait to start cooking with you! S is a veg but I'm not so I really need help creating yummy veggie meals for all three of us.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger *J* said...

All of a sudden, i am incredibly hungry! :) I look forward to reading about your food experiences!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

Ooh, I am so excited about this blog. Can I be your UK foodie correspondent?? Please, pretty please?

I've always been passionate about food, and I've been lucky enough that I've been able to make it my career as well - I'm a cookery writer and food stylist, mainly writing recipes for magazines, although I'm currently working on my fourth cookery book).

I love to talk food, and one of the main reasons why I haven't yet started a blog was because I couldn't get my head around how I could combine food and ttc in a sensible way!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger M. said...

Love it! Shared obsessions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home