Thursday, May 04, 2006

Balsamic asparagus


Ok. This is the best way to eat asparagus. Ever.
Ever in the whole world.


I'M NOT KIDDING


Preheat oven to 450.

Toss said vegetable, about a pound, in olive oil (enough to coat - about 1 TBSP)

Shave or cut large flat curls of Parmesan cheese**

Place curls over asparagus and bake for 12-15 minutes until is just tender and cheese is melted

Transfer with a spatula to warm plates and drizzle a nice balsamic vinegar over the top (or allow guests to sprinkle vinegar on, to taste)

I can barely write that last part without wanting to eat the keyboard. OMG I must have it right now. This is from The Balsamic Vinegar Cookbook. Please try this and tell me if you think it is the best friggin' asparagus you have ever had.

**or shredded BUT NO NASTY Kraft shit that gets sprinkled on pizza. We are talking about REAL Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. From a nice supermarket. Don't even get me started on American Parmesan cheese, I don't hat it per say (it is lovely on a greasy pizza slice) but it should not have a similar namesake to the real stuff. Ok I got started, but now I will end.

Additionally...
I cannot not mention the phalic nature of this vegetable. Have any of you seen it growing in a garden? Holy.
And the white asparagus? Enough said.

5 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Lo said...

Growing up, I only had American Kraft Parmesan cheese, and thusly, I hated Parmesan cheese. It was only when I married an Italian and discovered the real thing that I realized it is, in fact, delicious. I am dying to try this recipe.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Lo said...

P.S. Yes! Phallic!! (My personal favorite phallic vegetable is horseradish root (if that counts as a vegetable??). Has anyone ever seen actual horseradish root at a grocery store?? Oh. My. God.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use a similar bake-in-the-oven method, but add a clove of chopped garlic to the olive oil. Haven't tried the parm and balsamic yet, but I will.

It actually works well on the grill this way, too. (Use a grill plate (the kind they sell for grilling fish) so they don't roll between the bars into oblivion.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Tamsin said...

Mmmmmm! I've done the roasted asparagus with balsamic and Parmesan thing before, but only with shavings of Parmesan once it's on the plate. Melting it over the asparagus in the oven is a definite must-try-soon.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

Charlotte, I finally tried your asparagus this weekend. It was goooooood!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home