Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tuesday's Cookie

Tuesday's cookie is actually a cake today. An apple cake. In a bundt pan. After my horrid experience with a silicone bundt pan (see picture, I've nicknamed it Lump) I went and bought a nice metal one and am trying again.

What's different about this one? Good quality DARK brown sugar. Cardamom. Freshly grated nutmeg. Melted butter (again!) as well as oil. It's glazed with an spice apple juice and honey glaze.

My own changes? As always, I subbed half the flour with whole wheat. That's all.

Hint for the day? Sift all your dry ingredients onto wax paper. It will save you a bowl.


Dinner?

I've been working on cutting out dairy from my diet. Last week I made my usual veggie enchilada recipe but for the FIRST TIME without cheese. I shuddered to think how it would turn out. It was really good. Here it is:

Four zuchs (you can use any squash you want to here...I actually love the yellow sundial squash but they're not in season at the moment)
One yellow or orange bell pepper
One onion
1.5 cup or so of corn
(I use frozen all the time for this)
Salt
One or two jalepenos, minced
Chipotle powder, to taste
Oil for frying
Tortillas (I use whole wheat and they work nicely)
1 jar green salsa from Trader Joe's (or any salsa you like, I'm to lazy to make my own).

Preheat over to 375.

Dice all veggies to about 1/4 inch.

Heat a oil in a large skillet. Add onion and saute over med-high heat until nice and soft (I like my onion well cooked). Add squash, corn and bell pepper and saute until all are soft. It's nice to have them a little browned in areas. Remove veggies, stir in salt, let cool a little then stir in chiles and chipotle powder (I use a heaping 1/4 tsp because it's hot stuff).

Heat approx 1 cup of oil in a skillet (I use high heat canola for this) until it sizzles a drop of water. Place a paper towel over the sports section of the newspaper (he he). Fry tortillas for four seconds on each side and move to paper towel to drain.

Place enough filling on tortilla to fill it (I like to really stuff mine), fold bottom of tortilla over filling and roll. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Continue until pan is filled. Pour jar of salsa over.

Bake for 20 minutes in preheated over.

2 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Trista said...

ok, A) lump recipe? the tidbits sound super yummy.

b) have you ever tried hominy in the enchiladas?

They sound super yummy. As soon as my kitchen is in some sort of order again I am going to start testing these recipes...

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

Lump was supposed to be a coffee bundt cake with milk chocolate chips. I can't describe the sinking feeling when I felt half the cake drop out. The other half stayed stuck to the pan and it took TWO runs through the dishwasher and TWO bouts of soaking to get it clean. And the cake was undercooked. I took the pan back to Crate and Barrel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home